Tuesday, August 9, 2011

SIMON TUTTLE 1560-1630

[Ancestral Link: Mary Elizabeth Bickmore (Schow), daughter of Isaac Danford Bickmore, son of Isaac Motor Bickmore, son of David Bickmore, son of John Bickmore, son of Elizabeth Andrews (Bickmore), daughter of Elizabeth Bills (Bickmore), daughter of Samuel Bill, son of Thomas Bills, son of Dorothy Tuttle (Bills), daughter of Simon Tuttle.]


Ringstead, Norfolk, England
A contemporary photo of the church at Ringstead.

Simon (Symon) Tuttle (Tuttell, Tootell) of Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England was born about 1560, the son of Richard Tootill of Woodford, Northamptonshire, and probably grandson of Thomas Totehyll also of Woodford. He married Isabel Wells, the daughter of John Wells, and he died was buried at Ringstead June 15, 1630. Simon was mentioned in his father's will in 1589 and in that of his father-in-law, John Wells in 1618. His own will, dated December 19, 1627 was proved at Northampton, and names five sons: Richard, John "my second sonne", Thomas (who was deceased when will was drawn), Simon and William.

Simon's will reads: In the Name of God Amen The nyneteeneth Day of December in the yeare of our Lord god one thousand six hundred twentie seaven I Symon Tuttell of Ringsted in the Countie of Northton yeoman strong in minde and of good and pfect memory thanks and praise be to allmighty god and weighing and considering the frailety of mans life and the uncertainty of this world doe make and ordayne this my psent Testamt contayning therein my last will in mann[er] and forme as followeth that ys to say ffirst I [c]om[m]end and com[m]itt my soule into the hands of Allmighty god Creator assuredly believing through the onely meritte of Jesus Christe my saviour to be made ptaker of Everlasting life And my body I comitt to the earth from whence it came to be buried [torn] Christon burialls at the discrecion of my Executrix hereafter named, hopeing assuredly to receive the same again at the gene[ral] resurreccion not a mortall but an immortall and glorious body.And now as concerning those lands and goodes wch god of his goodness hath lent me I give and bequeath unto Isabell my wife All that moytie or prcell of land meadows and com[m]ons wth theire and each of theire appurtenances wch ys due to me out of the land formerly [?] conveyed to my Edlest sonne Richard and the house messuages or ten[emen]ts wherein I now dwell together with all the houses yards lands meadows pastures com[m]ons comodities and appurtenances whatsoever thereunto belonging or in any wise appurteyning and also All those landes meadows and comons wth thappurtances wch I lately had an purchased of Thomas Holding Edward Asin [?] al[ia]s James, and of Will[ia]m Sillyman and of each of them To ahve and to hold the same for and during the terme of her naturall life and after the naturall death of decease of y saide wyfe I give and bequeath all and singular the said mentioned lands and premisses wth their and each of their appurtenances unto Will[ia]m Tuttell my youngest sonne to have and to holde the same unto the saide Will[ia]m Tuttell and to the heirs of his Body Lawfully to be begotten, and for want of such yssue to the second sonne of my sonne Richard and to his heirs for ever Itm I give and bequeath unto John Tuttle my second sonne all that dwelling house wherein Mr Wrothfall now dwelleth wth all the houses thereunto belonging and the yarde and orchard thereunto adjoyning, and sometyme in the tenure or occupason of John White to have and to hold the same unto the saide John Tuttell and to his heirs and assignes for ever Itm I give and bequeath unto Isabel my said wyfe the one halfe [torn] that meadow wch I lately purchased of Joane Bateman wydow to have And to hold the same for and during her naturall life, And I give and bequeath the other Mytie or half of the same meadowe to my sonne Will[ia]m to enter [there] upon ymmediately after my decease, and I likewise give and bequeath unto my said sonne Will[ia]m the other Moytie of the same meadow to enter thereuppon after the naturall decease of my said wyfe to have and to hold the same unto him the said Will[ia]m and to the heires of his bodye lawfully to be begotten, so as he my said sonne [re]linquishes the twentie poundes given to him by his grandfather John Welles in and by his last will and testamet and the fyve pounds wch fell to him by the death of his brother Thomas Tuttell and for want of such issue of the body of the said Will[ia]m I give and bequeath the same meadowe unto the eldest sonne of my said sonne Richard and to his heirs for ever and I doe gie to my sonne Richard [illegible] halfe [illegible] the lord mordant [?] on both sides of it.

Itm I give to my sone John and his heirs for ever one dole of meadow [of?] forty foote in same which I purchased of Eusache Morton Thomas Ekins [?]. Itm I give to my sunn John his Daugher Abigaill fiue pounds at the age of fifteene years: Itm I give and bequeath unto the poore of Ringsted aforesaid xxs. to be distributed amongst the poorest sorte at the discreson of the minister and churchwardens. Itm I give to my godchildren xxs. apeece. Itm I give to my sonne Will[ia]m my best bedsted wth the bedding and furniture thereunto belonging, or therewith usd, the table in the hall wth the frame, halfe a duzzen of framd stooles, the yron barres on the chimneys wth the hookes and hangings the bed whereon he lyeth my best brasse pan my best brasse pott, my mault mill as now yt standeth, my bolting [twine and yeelding?] fatt, the barr of yron and the package [?], and I will that all my sheepe be equally devided betweene my said wife and my said sonne Will[ia]m wth the increase thereof so long as he keepeth himselfe unmarried. Itm I give and bequeath unto my said sonne Richard and to his heirs for ever one acre of leyes wch I purchased of Mr Carier, and half a dusson sheep. Itm I forgive [missing] my said sonne John thirtie pounds. Itm I give more unto my said sonne Will[ia]m my great cubbord in the [missing] the greater chest, two of the biggest chaires, and the chest that standeth by the bedsted. Itm I give untomy grand [childre]n xxs. a peece Divided allwaies And I will that all the said Movable goods herein given to my sonne Will[ia]m carefully to apply and husband his mothers business to the best of his power in [missing] of the person herein bequeathed pformed and my funeral expenses discharged. I give and bequeath unto Isabel my said wife [missing] and to be executrix of this my psent testamt and for the better execuson thereof I order [missing] them supervisores thereof and [missing]s. apeece [missing] and seal the day and year above written.

Also an addition has been squeezed in the will in a finer penmanship, obviously made by a different scribe at a later date (Abigail was born about two years before Simon's will was proved in 1630) leaves "to my sunn John, his daughter Abigail, five pounds at the age of fifteene years."

The will was signed by Simon T...., the rest of the surname and the date of probation being too fragmentary to transcribe. "Hale, House" [Jacobus] states that Simon Tuttle was buried 15 Jun 1630 at Ringstead and that his will was probated in 1630.

His widow, Isabel accompanied her sons, William, John and Richard on the Planter in 1635, but no record of her has been seen in this country, and probably she did not long survive.

Simon (Towtills) Tuttle was born about 1560 in Ringstead, Northampton, England. He died on 15 June 1630 in Ringstead, Northampton, England. He was buried on 15 Jun 1630 in Ringstead, Northampton, England. He married Isabel or Isobel Wells. [Parents]

Tuttle-Tuthill, Notes on the Name and the Early American Lines, p.5: As many as 40 spellings of place-derived family name exist in early British records. Standardized to Tuthill, Tothill or Tuttle which is most common. "Several male branches emigrated to America during the colonial period and a number of late-comers came in the 19th Century, several from Ireland." Follows the outline ofvarious Colonial American lines. On this page is a more detailed story of the beginning of the Tuttles than we have known before from the listings. Of Simon it says: "Symon Tootill or Towtills of Ringstead, co Northampton, born say 1560, buried at Ringstead, 15 June 1630; married Isabel Wells, born about 1565, daughter of John Wells of Ringstead, who mentioned her in his will in 1618. The will of John Wells also named all four of his Tuttell grandsons. Symon was supervisor of the will of Matthew Harris of Woodford, 5 Nov 1600. His own will was proved 1630 at Northampton.. His widow accompanied her sons on the "Planter" in 1635, but no record of her has been seen in this country, and probably she did not long survive." Then lists their ch... On p. 6: There is further discussion concerning the researchers lack of work on the will of Symon Tootill while studying that of his wife's fa. John Wells. It seems the wills are very difficult to read and a lady in SLC did produce typewritten copies of trans. of the wills. More info, but not on direct lines.Family Group No.3 - obtained Oct 1995 in SLC (Source not noted): His name is spelled SYMON TOOTILL. The info. is the same. Tells of the wills and his widow's leaving on the Planter w/her sons. Lists sons.Tuttle, Dodd, Dolittle - Web: "Simon Totill or Towtills of Ringstead, co Northampton, b abt 1560, buried Ringstead, 6/15/1630 married Isabel Wells, b abt 1565, dau of John Wells of Ringstead, who mentioned her in his will, 1618. Symon mentioned in both his father's will and his father in law's. His widow accompanied her sons on the Planter in 1635, but probably didn't live long." Note: They list sons Richard, John, Thomas and William while I do not have John, I list Simon #4879. There is much written about John.Note about above. There is a copy of the Planter list in the Tuttle notebook along with a copy of Tuttle, Dodd and Dolittle.Simon Totill or Towtills of Ringstead, co Northampton, b abt 1560,buried Ringstead, 6/15/1630, married abt 1592, Isabel Wells, b abt 1565,dau of John Wells of Ringstead, who mentioned her in his will, 1618. Symon mentioned in both his father's will and his father in law's', whosewill also named all four Tuttle grandsons (or rather, four of five ofthem, he left out John). Simon Tuttle supervised will of Mathew Harris ofWoodford in 1600. His widow accompanied her sons on the Planter in 1635,but probably didn't live long. See Simon Tuttle's will at Sam Casey's web site. Simon Tuttle was a very well -off man (though not on the same level of well off as my Noyes ancestors, who had advanced into the gentry), with much property and possibly a fair number of sheep. Gene Curtin mentions that the College of Arms was cited as the source for Simon' children by a family historian ordinarily skeptical of noble ancestry claims, from whichhe infers that Simon Totill had the right to bear a coat of arms. (A well off yeoman could qualify for a coat of arms.) The catalogue of his property from his will reads: land he gave his son Richard, with land, meadows, and commons, and thehouse and other buildings, where he and his wife live.land, meadows and commons which he bought from Thomas Holding and EdwardAs in alias James and of William Sillyman.the dwelling house where Mr. Wrothfall now lives with all the houses thatbelong to it, and adjoining yard and orchard. John White lived there orheld it too, at some point.the meadow which he purchased from Joane Bateman widow, apparently a largemeadow, since he divied it up among his family. (William had inherited 20 pounds from his grandfather, John Welles.)a meadow he bought from Eusache Morton and Thomas Ekins. a bedstead adn furniture, a table in the hall with a frame, "framedstools", more than one chimney in his house, good brass pans, a greatcubboard, more than two chairs some of them large, a chest by the bed. a malt mill sheep. Half a dozen of them to a specific family member, the others to be divided. one acre of "leyres" which he purchased from Mr. Carier. Could be something to do with the sheep. At least thirty-five pounds. Plus 2(xxs) to be given to the church, thepoor, etc. John Wells' will indicates that he was atleast as well of, perhaps a bitwealthier, than Simon Tuttle.subsidy rolls indicate that John Wells or Weales, and Simon Totehill orSymon Tootwell, of Rinsteed, were assessed for pieces of armor orequipment and amounts of money, I forget what if anything that is supposedto signify. Symon was born about 1560 in Ringstead, Northamptonshire. He was mentioned in his father's will in 1589 and in that of his father-in-law, John Wells in 1618. Symon was supervisor of the will of Matthew Harris of Woodford November 5, 1600. Symon was buried at Ringstead on June 15, 1630 and his will dated December 19, 1627 was proved at Northampton in 1630. His will has lost sections of the bottom and portions of words at the left of the top half, where it has been torn and mended. Also an addition has been squeezed in the will in a finer penmanship, obviously made by a different scribe at a later date (Abigail was born about two years before Symon's will was proved in 1630) leaves "to my sunn John, his daughter Abigail, five pounds at the age of fifteene years."His widow, Isabel (Wells) Tuttle accompanied her sons to New England on the Planter in 1635, but no record of her has been seen in this country, and probably she did not long survive and possibly died during the voyage. Her age (70) in the passenger list of the Planter indicates that she was born about 1565.
found on ancestry.com

Will of Symon Tuttell
1627 - Symon Tuttell's Will Transcription
Added by EmalynBristol on 14 August 2009
Originally submitted by kcgilger to McAleavy/Gilger Family Tree on 13 March 2007

Simon's will, dated December 19, 1627 was proved at Northampton. Simon's will transcription reads:

In the Name of God Amen The nineteenth day of December in the year of our Lord God one thousand six hundred twenty seven, I Symon Tuttell of Ringsted in the County of Northampton yeoman strong in mind and of good and perfect memory thanks and praise be to Almighty God and weighing and considering the frailty of mans life and the uncertainty of this world do make and ordain this my present testament containing therein my last will in manner and form as followeth; that is to say first I commend and commit my soul into the hands of Almighty God Creator assuredly believing through the only merit of Jesus Christ my savior to be made partaker of everlasting life And my body I commit to the earth from whence it came to be buried [torn] Christen burials at the discretion of my executrix hereafter named, hoping assuredly to receive the same again at the general resurrection not a mortal but an immortal and glorious body. And now as concerning those lands and goods which God in his goodness hath lent me, I give and bequeath unto Isabell my wife all that moytie or parcel of land meadows and commons with their and each of their appurtenances which is due to me out of the land formerly [?] conveyed to my eldest son Richard and the house messuages or tenements wherein I now dwell together with all the houses yards, lands, meadows, pastures, commons, commodities and appurtenances whatsoever thereunto belonging or in any wise appertaining and also all those lands, meadows and commons with the appurtances which I lately had an purchased of Thomas Holding Edward Asin [?] alias James, and of William Sillyman and of each of them to have and to hold the same for and during the term of her natural life and after the natural death of decease of my said wife I give and bequeath all and singular the said mentioned lands and premises with their and each of their appurtenances unto William Tuttell my youngest son to have and to hold the same unto the said William Tuttell and to the heirs of his body lawfully to be begotten, and for want of such issue to the second son of my son Richard and to his heirs forever Item: I give and bequeath unto John Tuttle my second son all that dwelling house wherein Mr. Wrothfall now dwelleth with all the houses thereunto belonging and the yard and orchard thereunto adjoining, and sometimes in the tenure or occupation of John White to have and to hold the same unto the said John Tuttell and to his heirs and assignes forever Item: I give and bequeath unto Isabel my said wife the one half [torn] that meadow which I lately purchased of Joane Bateman widow to have and to hold the same for and during her natural life, And I give and bequeath the other mytie or half of the same meadow to my son William to enter [there] upon immediately after my decease, and I likewise give and bequeath unto my said son William the other moytie of the same meadow to enter thereupon after the natural decease of my said wife to have and to hold the same unto him the said William and to the heirs of his body lawfully to be begotten, so as he my said son relinquishes the twenty pounds given to him by his grandfather John Welles in and by his last will and testament and the five pounds which fell to him by the death of his brother Thomas Tuttell and for want of such issue of the body of the said William I give and bequeath the same meadow unto the eldest son of my said son Richard and to his heirs forever and I do give to my son Richard [illegible] half [illegible] the lord mordant [?] on both sides of it. Item: I give to my son John and his heirs forever one dole of meadow [of?] forty foot in same which I purchased of Eusache Morton Thomas Ekins [?]. Item: I give to my son John his Daughter Abigaill five pounds at the age of fifteen years Item: I give and bequeath unto the poor of Ringsted aforesaid xxs. to be distributed amongst the poorest sort at the discretion of the minister and churchwardens. Item: I give to my godchildren xxs. apiece. Item: I give to my son William my best bedstead with the bedding and furniture thereunto belonging, or therewith used, the table in the hall with the frame, half a dozen of framed stools, the iron bars on the chimneys with the hooks and hangings the bed whereon he lyeth my best brass pan my best brass pot, my malt mill as now it standeth, my bolting [twine and yielding?] fat, the bar of iron and the package [?], and I will that all my sheep be equally divided between my said wife and my said son William with the increase thereof so long as he keepeth himself unmarried. Item: I give and bequeath unto my said son Richard and to his heirs forever one acre of leyes which I purchased of Mr. Carier, and half a dozen sheep. Item: I forgive [missing] my said son John thirty pounds. Item: I give more unto my said son William my great cupboard in the [missing] the greater chest, two of the biggest chairs, and the chest that standeth by the bedstead. Item: I give unto my grand children xxs. apiece Divided all ways And I will that all the said movable goods herein given to my son William carefully to apply and husband his mothers business to the best of his power in [missing] of the person herein bequeathed performed and my funeral expenses discharged. I give bequeath unto Isabel my said wife [missing] and to be executrix of this my present testament and for the better execution thereof I order [missing] them supervisors thereof and [missing]s. apiece [missing] and seal the day and year above written. Also an addition has been squeezed in the will in a finer penmanship, obviously made by a different scribe at a later date as Abigail was born about two years before Simon's will was proved in 1630 To my son John, his daughter Abigail, five pounds at the age of fifteen yearsThe will was signed by Simon T...., the rest of the surname and the date of probation being too fragmentary to transcribe. "Hale, House" [Jacobus] states that his will was probated in 1630.Additional information about this storyDescriptionA revised transcription of Symon Tuttell's will (words changed to modern spelling for easier reading)Date19 Dec 1627LocationRingstead, Northampton, England
found on ancestry.com


Biography Symon Tootill, the son of Richard of Woodford and probably grandson of Thomas Totehyll of Woodford was born in 1560. In 1588 (the year of the Spanish Armada) he was a soldier under Captain Nicoles. He married Isabel Wells, daughter of John Wells about 1592. They had six children: Richard, Thomas, John, Simon, Dorothy and William who was born on December 24, 1607. In 1604 and 1605 Symon is listed as a freeholder of land at Ringstead. In 1608 he was charged 4 shillings for expenses of musters. He was a yeoman, but one of wealth and property, as proved by his will, which was written in 1627.
found on ancestry.com


Historical Notes 2 [4060/4064/5776] Simon Tuttle born c1560 Woodford, County Northampton [Gillespie 478-9] died bd 15 June 1630 Ringstead, County Northampton [Gillespie 478-9]
[4061/4065/5777] Isabel Wells born c1565
[Gillespie 478-9] Simon Tuttle born probably at Woodford. Isabel Wells born c1565, as her age is listed as 70 on the passenger list of the Planter in 1635. Simon's will was proved in 1630 at Northampton. 4 children: Richard, Thomas, Simon, and William.
[Hale-House 771-775] Of Ringstead, County Northampton. His widow accompanied her sons on the Planter in 1635, but no record of her has been seen in this country, and she probably did not long survive.
found on ancestry.com

Totehyll/Tuttle Thomas Tuttle (Totehyll), father of Richard who was the father of Symon Tuttle:
Alva Tuttle in 1968 indicated that Thomas TOTEHYLL, of Woodford, county Northampton, England, was born about 1506. He was assessed for the subsidy there, 10 November 1544. He was a witness to the wills of Robert Crosse, 1524, Robert Pashler, 1538, Sir William Longe, 1541, Elizabeth Whitbred, 1552 and Richard Lyncoln, 1545. She indicates he was probably the father of Richard.Billie Redding Lewis in the Redding Family and its relatives has the following account: "The name Tuttle is said to have been derived from 'tothill, a 'hill of god' -- hills or artificial mounds which at one time were sacred in pagan worship and can be traced back to Egypt's ancient deity, Tot or Thot." Evidently the English have approved a number of lines including the line of William Tuttle.Richard was the only child listed of Thomas Totehyll who came from Woodford County, Northampton, England. Thomas was still living in Woodford in 1554 when he was on King Henry VIII's subsidy and tax roll. A year later he was named as witness for the will of Richard Lyncoln, and the last record found was as a witness to the will of Elizabeth Whitbred in 1552. Per Gwen Campbell's edited version of Alva Tuttle's book Thomas was assessed for subsidy in Woodford 10 November 1544; witness to wills from 1524-52 (p.?540). Resided in Holcott and Woodford, Northampton County, England. Probably the father of Richard. (8, 14)

Note on Richard Tuttle (Toothill) father of Symon:
His own will was proved 11 March 1589/90 at Peterborough and named the following children: Symon, Anthony, Elizabeth, Ellen, Mary, Frances, and Thomas. Another list gave William, but not Anthony. His wife was co executor with one of the sons. Campbell and Alva Tuttle said Anthony and Lewis said William. (8, 9, 14)

Note on Symon Tuttle, son of Richard, husband of Isabel Wells, father of William and Richard Tuttle:
On an internet site was the following:The Tuttle name is probably taken from the name of a locality, and the name of Tothill, Toothill or Tuthill is still borne by many villages in Great Britain. The first name on the roll of the Battle Abbey (1066) is Toteles. The family has been well known in several parts of England and many of its members have held positions of honor and distinction. The family claims very ancient descent in Ireland, being known before the Christian era in the well-known sept or tribe of O'Toole, which also appears written O'Tothill by antiquarians. Between the years 1629 and 1640 many families left England on account of the conditions existing there. In the year 1635 there were three distinct families by the name of Tuttle who came to America in the ship "Planter", and besides these two other Tuttles bearing the Christian name of John, one of them accompanied by his brother Henry came in that year. Others came a few years later. Of those who came in the "Planter", John Tuttle settled at Ipswich, Richard in Boston and William in New Haven.Genealogies by the Library of Congress since 1986 Section II, Page 1089Alva Tuttle in 1968 wrote that Symon TOOTILL or TOWTILLS of Ringstead, co Northampton, born say 1560, buried at Ringstead, 15 June 1630; married ISABEL WELLS, born about 1565, daughter of John Wells of Ringstead, who mentioned her in his will in 1618. Symon was mentioned in his father's will in 1589 and in that of his father-in-law in 1618. The will of John Wells also named all four of his Tuttell grandsons. Symon was supervisor of the will of Matthew Harris of Woodford, 5 November 1600. His own will was proved 1630 at Northampton.

Note on Isabel Wells, wife of Symon Tuttle:
The Symon Tuttle family embarked 2 April 1635 from England for America on the Planter. James Strictland thought the marrige date about 1590, 2nd Torrey Supplement about 1592. Alva Tuttle that John Tuttle, born 1596 is a nephew of Symon Tuttle and Isabel Wells, and not a son. (#2, 9, 13)
While this widow of Symon Tuttle accompanied her sons on the "Planter" in 1635, no record of her has been seen in this country, and probably, if she survived the trip, she did not long survive after arrival. (Found on internet site)

Note on Richard Tuttle, son of Symon, brother of William:
Passenger list from Ron Miller 1/24/2007:"Theis parties heereunder mencioned are to be transported to New England: imbarqued in the Planter Nicholas Trarice Master bound thether: they have brought certificates from the Justices of Peace and Ministers of ye parish that they are conformable to the orders of ye Church of England and are no Subsedy men: they have taken the oath of Supremacy and Allegiance at Anno Pred.
Richard Tuttell, Husbandman 42
Ann Tuttell 41
Anna Tuttell 12
John Tuttell 10
Rebecca Tuttell 6
Isbell Tuttell 70
William Tuttell Husbandman 26
Elizabeth Tuttell 23
John Tuttell 3 1/2
Ann Tuttell 2 1/4
Thomas Tuttell 3 mos."

Note on William Tuttle, son of Symon, brother of Richard…
William Tuttle came from England to New England in the Planter 1635, age 26, with wife Elizabeth, and children John, Ann, and Thomas. Also on the planter were his brother Richard and cousin or brother John Tuttle accompanied by Richard and William's mother, Isabel (Wells) Tuttle..William Tuttle is found in 1635, shortly after his landing in Boston, as an inhabitant of Charlestown where he, starting his civic duties immediately, was chosen surveyor for the town. Also there is a permit noted in the town records for William Tuttle to build a windmill. Evidently William was a merchant in Charlestown. In 1669 he was an arbitrator in the boundary dispute between New Haven and Branford. In 1666-67 he was a constable. He bought land in New Haven "in the Neck" which became William Tuttle's homestead. Yale University built its first building on this land which was the only land owned by the college for nearly 30 years. William's story is one of a 26 year old Englishman coming to a strange, untamed environment and becoming a successful businessman and an influential Puritan who helped mold the foundations of a great country for his descendants.Aaron Burr was said to be the third great grandson of William Tuttle. This needs to be proved. Rev. Jonathan Edwards was the great grandson of William and Eli Whitney was also said to be descended from this branch of Tuttles. (14, 15)
Note on Mercy Tuttle, daughter of William, mother of Francis Brown who was the grandfather of Jemima Brown:
FROM: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/5127/Readyhough/tuttle.html
Mercy born 1650 married 5/2/1667 Samuel Brown, son of Francis and Mary EDWARDS Brown. She was accused at age 14 of stealing and drinking liquor. She chopped her 17-year-old (?) son, Samuel Jr, to death with an axe as he lay in his bed. Her husband said she had seemed rational, but the day before, she said she would have the children buried in the barn, because "dreadful times are coming". He said she had "slept but little for two or three nights before."

Joseph Brown, age 24, testifed that she had thrown scalding water at him and he thought her "much out of her head." Mercy's sister, and Simon Tuttle and his wife thought she had seemed distracted "that morning and before." Mary Moss testified that "Mercy came to their house a little before the sad accident and wished Mr. Moss to look after her husband." Neighbors testified they had come to her house for fire and when she came out with it, she went down the hill towards the swamp seeming distracted.

In jail, she seemed distracted, seemed much grieved at having given offense to someone who knew nothing of it. Those who took her to New Haven for trial testified that she seemed "shaken in her understanding." Though her attorney pleaded insanity, the jury found her guilty, and the judge sentenced her to die. It wasn't a popular verdict, the town felt she should be exonerated on the basis of insanity. But confusion, resulting over the removal of the governor from his office, allowed Mercy to escape execution.

Note on Sarah Tuttle, daughter of William Tuttle:
Sarah was murdered. (1, 2)

Note on Benjamin Tuttle, son of William Tuttle:
Benjamin Tuttle was executed for the murder of his sister Sarah. (1)

Note on Hannah Tuttle, daughter of Richard Tuttle, mother of Mary Pantry who was wife to Nathaniel Mix:

Taking the information from Jacobus Families of Ancient New Haven v. 8, p. 1882, I had originally linked Hannah Tuttle to William and Elizabeth Tuttle. Another researcher indicated a Tuttle genealogy online indicated Hannah was the daughter of William's brother Richard quoting:from the book (Tuttle-Tuthill lines in America by Alva M. Tuttle,Columbus, Ohio 1968, p. 230):First Ch, Boston, Mass V:

"Hannah, ye da of ye dec bro Richrd Tuttle, now ye wife of one John Pantry of Hartford hath Lettres of Recommend to ye Church there ye 23rd day, 7th mo, 1649"

Torrey also indicates that John Pantry married Hannah Tuttle, dau. Richard, m/2 Thomas Welles, Jr. 1654; ca 1649 Hartford.

In 1954 in TAG 30:7-10 Jacobus discusses the Tuttles and corrects his linking of Hannah to William in Families of Ancient New Haven. He writes on p. 7:

"Hannah the wife of John Pantry and Thomas Welles of Hartford was daughter of Richard Tuttle of Boston. Ann or Anna the daughter of William Tuttle of New Haven married first, Joshua Judson of Stratford, and second, John Hur ‘Jr.’ of Stratford and Woodbury, Connecticut, by both of whom she left issue."

Bad luck in marriages??? Hannah’s husband John Pantry died at 24 years of age. Hannah then married Thomas Welles who died at 43… Killed in a fall from a cherry tree. (7)
found on ancestry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment