Monday, August 13, 2012


Picture of Lura Minnie found in a leather bi-fold picture holder with inscription "The Girl I Left Behind Me" carried in World War I by Louis Abraham Stagge.

Altha dressed in her brother Dean's suit, with cousin Maggie Stimpson and sister Lura Parker

Back Row left to right: Roland Fay Parker, Alverda Williams Parker, Mable Burnett, Rose Ella Parker, Altha Sarah Parker, Noma Flinders, Elwyn Jost Parker, Mark Leonard Parker; Front Row left to right: Louis Abraham Stagge, Elmer Parker, Eva Hansen Parker, Cecil Karl Parker, Lura Minnie Parker, Lulu Cumorah Jones

Ogden City Cemetery
Ogden, Utah United States

Memories of Lura Parker Stagge by her Granddaughter Margo Stagge Loftus

Lura was born in Clinton, Utah and attended Clinton schools. Her favorite teachers were Mr. Patterson 

and Miss McCloy. She went on a trip to Idaho when she was 23, which she really enjoyed. She was ward organist and later secretary in both Primary and Sunday School in the Clinton Ward. She always went to church. She lived in Clinton and Ogden all her life. Her favorite form of recreation was dancing. (This was written by her son Ralph Stagge in a genealogy class in 1938) 

Lura met Louis before he went into the service, and they were married when he came home. She worked at the Royal Canning Factory during the summertime. They would can whatever fruit was in season. 

Then she started working full time at Utah Taylor Mills

on 31st and Washington Boulevard after Ralph joined the Navy. The clothes they made there were sold in stores. She also altered clothing for many people on the side. When Bueller Bingham bought out the Taylor Mills, she continued to work there until she retired.

Grandma always wore a dress, necklace and pearl earrings. She had very thin white hair and wore glasses. She would cry easily and would always keep a tissue in her dress. She was very quiet. She loved to read romance magazines and play solitaire. She and Grandpa also played Canasta a lot. She had a few health issues. She had asthma real bad when her kids were small. A doctor would come to the house to treat her. Many times she would faint. She used an inhaler. She also got a colostomy bag when she was in her 50s. She was one of the first people to have one, and Ralph remembers people always wanted to talk to her about it. 

I had just turned 17 when Grandma died suddenly of a heart attack on September 12, 1966. She and Grandpa were renting out their basement apartment to three college nursing students at the time. They had come upstairs, and she told them she was having really bad chest pains. They called for an ambulance, but it was too late. 

My mother’s name is Lura Minnie Parker. Her father’s name is Joseph Parker, and her mother’s name is Minnie May Elmer. She had eight brothers and six sisters. She was born in Clinton, Utah, on November 27, 1985. She attended the Clinton schools. Her best teachers were Mr. Patterson and Miss McCloy.

She went on a trip to Idaho when she was 23. She was baptized in 1904. She was organist and later secretary in both Primary and Sunday School in the Clinton Ward. She lived in Clinton and Ogden, Utah, all her life. Her favorite form of recreation was dancing. She was married in 1919 to Louis Stagge. She had five children, four sons and one daughter.
(The above was written by Ralph Stagge in 1938 as part of a genealogy class.)

Lura Minnie Parker
My mother's name is Lura Minnie Parker. Her mother's name is Minnie May Elmer and her father's name is Joseph Parker. She has 8 brothers and 6 sisters. She was born in Clinton, Utah, November 27, 1895. Some of her playmates were Vira
and LaVern Stewart.

She went to the Clinton school. Her best teachers were Mr. Patterson and Miss McCloy. She went on a trip to Idaho at the age of 23.

She was baptized in the Mormon Church in 1904. She was organist and later secretary in both Primary and Sunday School in the Clinton Ward. She has lived in Clinton and Ogden, Utah, all her life. Her favorite form of recreation was dancing. Her husband's name is Louis Abraham Stagge. She had four sons and one daughter.
Written by her daughter, Velda May Stagge

My Mother's Life Story
My mother's name is Lura Minnie Parker Stagge.  She was the daughter of Minnie May Elmer and Joseph Parker.  She was born November 27, 1895.  She has eight brothers and six sisters.

She was a student at the Clinton School.  Some of her teachers were Mr. Patterson, Mr. Fisher, and Mr. McCloy.  Her playmates were Vira Stewart and LaVern Stewart.

She was baptized in the Mormon Church in 1904.  She was baptized in an irrigation ditch.  She held the position of secretary in both Primary and Sunday School.,

She married Louis A. Stagge in 1919.  She had four sons and one daughter.  She has been a resident of Clinton and Ogden, Utah, all of her life.  She went on a trip to Idaho when she was twenty-three years old.

Her favorite sports are dancing, basketball, and baseball.

This was written in 1937 for the certificate for the First Year Genealogical Class.
Written by Velda May Stagge in her Book of Remembrance.

Margo’s Memories
(Ralph Stagge’s daughter)

I never saw my Grandma wear anything but a dress. She always wore a necklace and pearl earrings. She had very thin white hair and wore glasses. She would cry easily and would always keep a tissue in her dress. She loved to read romance magazines, and I would always want to read them also when we went there to visit. I don’t remember spending the night there, but they did come to our home to babysit Dan and I once when my parents went on a trip.

She was very quiet also. She would talk – but she was not loud. Each time we would go there to visit, she would always be sitting at the kitchen table playing solitaire. That was her favorite thing to do I thought.

I only remember going there once or twice for Thanksgiving. Some of her family would be there, and I loved to visit with them. I loved to go the cemetery on Memorial Day and see all of her relatives. They were just all so interesting and friendly. They always made me feel so welcome and special.

Grandpa and Grandma had a full basement – it was actually an apartment down there. I don’t remember getting to go down there very often – only when my Uncle Deb and Aunt Maxine lived there and I could go down to visit them. Also, when my Uncle Marvin and his family would come from California, they would stay down there – and I would sit on the bed down there and talk with my cousin JoAnn. It was always fun when we went there and had family parties there.

Grandma died suddenly of a heart attack on September 12, 1966.

JoAnn’s Memories
(Marvin Stagge’s daughter)

We would visit Grandma and Grandpa every summer. When I got bored with the adult conversation, I would go downstairs and read Grandma’s romance magazines. I thought they were really risqué for the time and felt guilty that I enjoyed them.

Grandma worked for a tailor shop in her later life. She really enjoyed gardening and had a row of beautiful roses all along the side of her house. She taught me to play Canasta and would let me play Canasta with her and my mother when we visited. It made me feel so grown up to be able to play cards with the adults.

Seems I heard that my Grandma was working in her rose garden when she had her heart attack and that after she died Grandpa went out and pulled up the roses.

Lura P. Stagge

Mrs. Lura Minnie Parker Stagge, 70, of 3052 Jefferson, died Monday afternoon at the Dee Hospital following a heart attack.

Mrs. Stagge was born November 27, 1895, in Clinton, Utah, a daughter of Joseph and Minnie May Elmer Parker.

On December 3, 1919, she was married to Louis A. Stagge in Ogden.

She had resided in Clinton and came to Ogden after her marriage.

She was formerly employed at the Royal Canning Company and was a seamstress for the Utah Tailoring Mills, retiring in 1953.She was a member of the LDS Ninth Ward and was former organist in the Clinton Ward.

Surviving are her husband, four sons, Marvin L. Stagge, Concord, California; Delbert E. Stagge and Ralph J. Stagge, both of Ogden; Floyd Stagge, Plain City, 10 grandchildren, five brothers, Elmer Parker, Elwyn J. Parker, both of Clinton, O. Dean Parker, Roland (Ted) Parker, both of Roy, Cecil K. Parker, Ogden; two sisters, Mrs. Rose Toone, Mrs. Altha Sessions, both of Ogden.

Funeral services will be held Thursday at 1 p.m. in Lindquist and Sons Colonial Chapel with Bishop's Counselor Charles Dalwyler of the Ninth Ward officiating.

Friends may call at the mortuary Wednesday from 7 to 9 p.m. and Thursday prior to services. Burial will be in the Ogden City Cemetery.

Died Monday, September 12, 1966
Probably Ogden Standard-Examiner (laminated on card by funeral home)

U.S. Social Security Death Index for Lura Stagge
First Name: Lura
Middle Name:
Last Name: Stagge
Name Suffix:
Birth Date: 27 November 1895
Social Security Number: 529-03-9536
Place of Issuance: Utah
Last Residence: Weber, Utah
Zip Code of Last Residence: 84403
Death Date: September 1966
Estimated Age at Death: 71
found on

United States Census, 1930 for Lura Stagge
Name: Lura Stagge
Event: Census
Event Date: 1930
Event Place: Ogden, Weber, Utah
Gender: Female
Age: 34
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Birthplace: Utah
Estimated Birth Year: 1896
Immigration Year:
Relationship to Head of Household: Wife
Father's Birthplace: Utah
Mother's Birthplace: Utah
Enumeration District Number: 0015
Family Number: 304
Sheet Number and Letter: 14A
Line Number: 33
NARA Publication: T626, roll 2424
Film Number: 2342158
Digital Folder Number: 4547822
Image Number: 00603
Household, Gender, Age
Spouse - Louis Stagge, M, 35
Lura Stagge, F, 34
Child - Marvin Stagge, M, 9
Child - Velda Stagge, F, 7
Child - Delbert Stagge, M, 6
Child - Ralph Stagge, M, 4
found on
Ira Michael Schow, 2nd row 2nd from the left. Missionary group taken sometime between 20 August 1901 and September 1903 in Portland, Oregon.

Ira Michael Schow - Brigham City


My father, Ira Michael Schow, was born 22 February 1875, in Mantua, Box Elder County, Utah. He was the fourth child of Michael Juel Schow and Christena Hanson Schow. His father was born 12 September 1845 at Aalborg, Denmark. He came across the plains to Utah with a handcart company at the age of eight (Hans Peter Olsen Company, 1854), he grew up in Box Elder County and was with the first company of saints to settle in Mantua, Utah. He was Bishop there for many, many years and lived a worthwhile and serviceable life. His mother was born 9 April 1843 at Hensinge, Denmark. She was a good housekeeper and as my mother tells me, had everything to keep house with. She was a great hand at having her shelves well stocked. They were blessed with nine children.

Dad attended grade school in Mantua and completed the eighth grade. Later in life he took a course in carpentering at the Agricultural College in Logan, Utah. He grew up on a farm and while still a youth learned the value of an honest day's work. When he was yet a boy his father was called on a mission. Dad took over the family farm and helped support his father while in the mission field.

He was ordained a Deacon 18 November 1888 by Martin M. Jensen. Ordained a Teacher 7 January 1894 by C. M. Jensen, and a Priest 8 December 1895 by C. M. Jensen. He received a Patriarchal Blessing from John Smith 26 March 1894. He was ordained a Seventy 20 August 1901 by Apostle Rudgar Clawson at Salt Lake City, Utah, just prior to going on a mission. At the same time he was given a missionary blessing by Apostle Clawson.  Missionary certificate signed August 20, 1901 by Lorenzo Snow, L. Cannon, Joseph G. Smith, First Presidency.

Dad was first called to go to the Samoan Island to preach the gospel and even took some language lessons, but since there was trouble there, his mission was changed to the Northwestern States Mission. He was one of the first missionaries to go up into this section. I have read his diary and am sure he did a great deal of good and attended zealously to the work of the Lord while on his mission.

At one time, while on his mission, the people in the sector in which they were laboring were a little hostile. My father and his companion were staying over night at a friend's house and they heard they were to be tarred and feathered. Five or six men came to the house where they were staying, but their friend, the man of the house, went out with a gun and talked with them and they went away and left them alone. Most of the time, I believe the people were most cordial. Many times they used the school house in the community to hold meetings and were successful, except at one place where a minister of another faith was also on the school board and prevented them. In September 1903 he was given an honorable release from his mission and was told he could come home.

He met Mary Elizabeth Bickmore in Paradise, Utah, where he had purchased a farm prior to going on his mission, and they were married in the Logan Utah Temple 23 December 1903, the same year he came home from his mission. To this union 10 children were born: Irene, Ellen, Norma, Ira Lee, Juel Reed, Danford, Ida, Beth, Edna, and Myron. The first four years of his married life were spent in Paradise, Utah. They lived in town but owned a farm on the outskirts of town. Thinking they could better their condition financially, Dad sold the farm, placed the money in the bank until a good opportunity presented itself to buy another farm, and moved to Logan, Utah. After living in Logan for two years, my father rented the McCulleck Ranch at Cedarville, Idaho, where they lived for one year. He then invested his money in a farm and home at Weston, Idaho. There they spent some of the most pleasant years of their life. My father was called as second Assistant Superintendent of the Sunday School, he worked in the M.I.A., and later was called as second counsel in the Bishopric.

In 1916 they chartered a car on the O.S.L. Railroad, loaded it with their household furniture and belongings, machinery and livestock, and moved to Rexburg, Idaho, where they leased land from the state. They had quite a lot of trouble in this place. Dad hurt his back in a loading accident and could not work for months. Mother was seriously ill, and the new baby, Danford, had a struggle to retain life. Both Dad and Mother feel that it was only through faith and the power of the priesthood that Mother was spared and allowed to remain and raise her family.

In the spring of 1917 they bought a right for a homestead and moved to Dubois, Idaho, living there until 1919. That year, because of the drought, water had to be brought on trains to the city of Dubois. This was the only means of a water supply, except for one city well.

That fall, having a desire to spend the winter near Dad's parents who were getting old, they moved to Mantua, Utah. The following spring they decided not to return to Idaho to live. Dad and Mother took a trip back and settled their affairs and returned.

They moved to Brigham City, Utah, in 1921 and lived in the Second Ward. While living there, their oldest daughter, Irene, died at the age of 18 from Typhoid Fever, which brought much sorrow into their home. They moved from the Second Ward into the Fifth Ward. Here they spent a good deal of time in Genealogical Society. To earn a living my father worked at the sugar factory and also had a small fruit farm. He also did a lot of sheep shearing in the springtime. I remember also that he had quite a lot of chickens. Dad had one pet chicken that used to fly up on his shoulder whenever he came into the coup. Of course, even that chicken finally was put to the chopping block. Once during a very bad windstorm, Dad brought all of his small chicks into the kitchen to keep them warm and safe. It was quite a terrible wind, and I remember being afraid and so stayed up most of the time in the kitchen too. My sister, Ida, was frightened to death when the neighbors' garage just about fell on top of her as she was running home down the alley in back of the house. They lived at this South Main residence for about eight years. Then moved to a yellow cement finished home on First West. A year or two later they moved to a large frame house on West Forrest Street.

In 1934, my mother found a two-room house for sale (120 North 1st East) and talked my father into buying it, even though he was reluctant. The first summer they moved into the house the boys had to sleep outside. By fall, Dad, with the help of the boys, had a two-room basement built on the front of the house. Gradually over the years, it was built up and remodeled, two rooms over the basement, the large old kitchen was divided into kitchen, bath, large closet, hallway and the bedroom upstairs was divided into two. Each new thing brought a thrill to the whole family, and, of course, each one pitched in and helped. I didn't do much except to help as much as a young girl could. Dad was always considerate of Mother. He never did a thing without consulting her and built it as near as possible to what she said she wanted. He did a very neat job and was always careful in his work. He would have made a very good carpenter except that heights seemed to bother him and made him dizzy.

While working in the Fourth Ward, Dad was kept busy in the High Priest Quorum and was always good to do his teaching. He was always willing when called upon to do anything.

Dad had a loving disposition and was always good to his children. I remember at about the time I was 11 or 12 years old, my girl friend would take me to a free show just about every night. (Her father owned the show house.) Dad used to threaten me every time (but with a grin) that he would spank me. One night he did, but not very hard -- just enough to hurt my feelings. Another time, when my brother Dan was in junior high school, he was hit on a boil with a snowball which had a rock in it. It hurt very much and Dad always had to laugh when he remembered Danny coming home and asking him if he'd rock him like he used to do. The children often came to him for comfort. Mother says Dad could cook almost as good as she could. Having such a large family and of course sickness, Dad took over when Mother was unable to.

It was said of Dad that he was honest, sincere, clean, and righteous, which was true as I well know. He was a very wonderful man who always lived the gospel and tried to teach it and be an example to his children and all he came in contact with.

He suffered a heart attack in 1946 and nearly died, but through the prayers and faith of loved ones and the power of the priesthood he was allowed to live a little while longer. He was very sick, however, and it was quite a job for Mother to care for him. He kept suffering heart attacks. Dad and Mother enjoyed those last years together, and Mother felt she was being prepared to live alone and take care of herself and the business affairs too.

He passed away 12 December 1948 while lying on the couch listening to conference. Mother said it was very quick, for which we all are thankful. Many fine tributes were paid him in the funeral services, and he was laid to rest in the Brigham City, Utah Cemetery.

This is a description given of my Father by Mother: large blue eyes, brown hair, height 5'8", weight 175 pounds, chest measures 30", health good.

Dad had traveled in the states of Utah, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, Colorado, and California.
Written by his daughter, Edna Schow Jones

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Name: Ira Michael Schow
County: Beaverhead
State: Montana
Birth Date: 22 February 1875
Race: White
FHL Roll Number: 1684099
DraftBoard: 0
found on

Utah Death Certificates, 1904-1956 for Ira Michael Schow
Name: Ira Michael Schow
Titles and Terms:
Death Date: 12 December 1948
Death Place: Brigham City, Box Elder, Utah
Estimated Birth Year: 1875
Death Age: 73 years 9 months 20 days
Gender: Male
Marital Status: Married
Race or Color:
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Bickmore
Father's Name: Michael Juel Schow
Father's Titles and Terms:
Mother's Name: Christina Hansen
Mother's Titles and Terms:
Film Number: 2224524
Digital GS Number: 4120929
Image Number: 516
Certificate Number:
cause of death: coronary occlusion due to coronary heart disease.
found on

United States Census, 1910 for Ira M Schow
Name: Ira M Schow
Birthplace: Utah
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Residence: Weston, Oneida, Idaho
Marital Status: Married
Race : White
Gender: Male
Immigration Year:
Father's Birthplace: Denmark
Mother's Birthplace: Denmark
Family Number: 160
Page Number: 9

Household, Gender, Age
Ira M Schow, M, 35y
Spouse - Elizabeth B Schow, F, 27y
Child - Irene Schow, F, 5y
Child - Ellen Schow, F, 3y
Child - Norma Schow, F, 0y 4m
Isaac D. Bickmore, M, 40y
Earl Bickmore, M, 12y
found on

Utah Marriages, 1887-1966 for Ira M. Schow
Groom's Name: Ira M. Schow
Groom's Birth Date: 1875
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age: 28
Bride's Name: Lizzie Bickmore
Bride's Birth Date: 1883
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age: 20
Marriage Date: 23 December 1903
Marriage Place: Logan, Cache, Utah
Groom's Father's Name:
Groom's Mother's Name:
Bride's Father's Name:
Bride's Mother's Name:
Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M73405-2
System Origin: Utah-EASy
Source Film Number: 430307
Reference Number: 330
found on

United States Census, 1930 for Ira M Schow
Name: Ira M Schow
Event: Census
Event Date: 1930
Event Place: Brigham, Box Elder, Utah
Gender: Male
Age: 54
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Birthplace: Utah
Estimated Birth Year: 1876
Immigration Year:
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Father's Birthplace: Denmark
Mother's Birthplace: Denmark
Enumeration District Number: 0006
Family Number: 332
Sheet Number and Letter: 15B
Line Number: 72
NARA Publication: T626, roll 2414
Film Number: 2342148
Digital Folder Number: 4547393
Image Number: 00203

Household, Gender, Age
Ira M Schow, M, 54
Spouse - Elizabeth Schow, F, 47
Child - Ira L Schow, M, 18
Child - Reed Schow, M, 15
Child - Danford Schow, M, 12
Child - Ida Schow, F, 10
Child - Beth Schow, F, 8
Child - Edna Schow, F, 5
found on

daughter Irene Schow's Death certificate
Utah Death Certificates, 1904-1956 for Ira M. Schow
Name: Irene Schow
Titles and Terms:
Death Date: 16 August 1923
Death Place: Brigham, Box Elder, Utah
Estimated Birth Year: 1905
Death Age: 18 years 9 months 27 days
Gender: Female
Marital Status:
Race or Color:
Spouse's Name:
Father's Name: Ira M. Schow
Father's Titles and Terms:
Mother's Name: Lizzie Bickman
Mother's Titles and Terms:
Film Number: 2259289
Digital GS Number: 4121324
Image Number: 1532
Certificate Number: 98
cause of death listed as hemorragh from intestines - Typhoid
found on

United States Census, 1900 for Ira Schow
Name: Ira Schow
Titles and Terms:
Residence: Paradise, Cache, Utah
Birth Date: February 1875
Birthplace: Utah
Relationship to Head of Household: Brother
Spouse's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Father's Titles and Terms:
Father's Birthplace: Denmark
Mother's Titles and Terms:
Mother's Birthplace: Denmark
Race or Color (expanded): White
Head-of-household Name: James Schow
Gender: Male
Marital Status: Single
Years Married:
Estimated Marriage Year:
Mother How Many Children:
Number Living Children:
Immigration Year:
Enumeration District: 0072
Page: 4
Sheet Letter: A
Family Number: 68
Reference Number: 32
Film Number: 1241682
Image Number: 00339

Household, Gender, Age
James Schow, M
Eliza J. Schow, F
Elvirus Schow, M
Homer Schow, M
Della Schow, F
Ira Schow, M
found on

Memories of X-Mas Written in a Family Letter by Reed Schow
January 19, 1989

"Here it is a few days before Xmas and we are still not ready for it.  It takes me back to the days when we were kids too.  We always had a good Christmas.  Not too much in the way of expensive gifts but there was always something for us. 

I remember one year we could not afford a Xmas tree so mother and Ellen took one corner of the room and draped quilts across the corner of the room and decorated it with the usual paper chains and popcorn strings and with our stockings hung inside.  It was different and I thought it was just great to be different from anyone else.  It was just as good or better than any old Xmas tree. 

I remember one year Dad told us kids we could not get up until the fire was started and he called us, or Santa would not bring us anything.  Lee woke up in the middle of the night and woke me up and said, "Let's go and see what Santa had brought us."  No way was I going out there for Dad had said Santa would not bring us anything.  So Lee went on his own.  He came back after awhile and I asked him if Santa had been there yet.  He said, "Yes."  I asked him what he got and he said, "Nothing."  He finally said he got some candy and an orange.  When Dad called us in the morning Lee didn't get up with the rest of us.  We all had nice gifts but there was Lee's stocking with the candy and orange in it but nothing else.  He finally came out and emptied his stocking and low and behold there was a nice watch in the bottom of the stocking.  From a very unhappy boy to a happy one in just a few minutes."

U.S. Directories 1905
Land Owners of Cache County
Ira M Schow, 67 1/2, $260, Paradise
Street address: 67 260 Paradise

Land Owners of Cache County
Ira M Schow, 68, $255, Paradise
Street address: 68 255 Paradise

1909 Logan, Utah, City Directory
Ira M. Schow, farmer, res 279 E 2nd South
Found on

Funeral Services for Ira Michael Schow
(February 22, 1875 - December 12, 1948)
Bishop George A. Nielson, Officiating
Latter-Day Saint Church - Fourth Ward
Brigham City, Utah
1:00 o'Clock P.M. - December 16, 1948

(Bishop George A. Nielson)
Brothers and Sisters:

We have met today to pay our parting respects to Brother Ira Schow.  The services have been arranged and will be carried out according to the wishes of the family.  Brother Evan Jones, a son-in-law, offered the family prayer.

Fourth Ward Double Trio - "Softly and Tenderly"

Robert Stewart - Invocation:

Our Father Who Art in Heaven:

In the name of the Lord, Jesus Christ, we, a few of Thy children and loved ones of Brother Ira Schow, neighbors and friends, have met here in this Holy House to pay our tributes and respects to the life and memory of Brother Ira Schow.  Brother Schow was a very modest, clean, honest, upright man.  He has been a credit to his group, the High Priest Quorum, and has been honored and sustained the Holy Priesthood.  He has a fine family of boys and girls.  They, too, are a credit to any community in which they live.  We pray to Thee at this time to bless those who might speak to us, and those who may render a song or whatever might have been assigned to them.  Bless them mightily that they might give us the bread of life that when we have left these services that we will be buoyed up and strong and receive renewed determination to go forth and carry on the work yet assigned to us.

Sister Schow will need Thy help, too, Father, and we pray Thee to bless her today that she may carry on until her work is finished here upon the earth and she will have the opportunity to come back unto Thy presence and the presence of her loved one.  Bless the children that they might constantly remember the good works of their father and mother and that they will try to emulate their examples.

Bless us all that we might constantly try to serve Thee and keep Thy commandments.  We thank Thee, Father, for the privilege of meeting as a group of people, for all of the many blessings which Thou has given us, and we pray Thee to be with us throughout the services.  When the services are over, bless and protect us that nothing of an evil nature might befall us, that we might be able to go to the cemetery and back in safety.  We thank Thee Father for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and for all that is for our good, and we do it in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

(Bishop Wilford Freeman)

Brothers and Sisters:

I feel honored this afternoon in being asked to say a few words at these services.  I pray that the prayers of Brother Stewart will be answered in my behalf.

Brother Schow has been a member of our ward here in Brigham City for 11 or 12 years, and I became acquainted with him shortly after that.  I learned to know him and respect him and learned to love him.  He was a man of his word, and what he has done and what will be done by other men like Brother Schow, I think is a mainstay of our church today.  He was modest, plain, sincere.  He was true through and through.  He loved his religion.  He loved his religion as we all should.  He taught the gospel to his children and showed love and affection and willingness to serve and to sacrifice, and I am sure those are things which are necessary for any good home.

About three years ago, Brother Schow was stricken, but he had faith--great faith, and so did Sister Schow, in the power of the priesthood, and I feel that he was given almost a reprieve at that time.  King Hezediah prayed to the Lord for an extension of life, and I have been very happy to see Brother Schow given a similar extension, even though he was seriously ill.  I was happy that when the end came he did not have to suffer too much.  It is a kind way to go.  I felt that Brother Schow had followed the advice of the Savior when he said:

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through and steal."

Brother Schow has lived a good life.  He has a very fine family.  I have known all of them, and they are very fine boys and girls--a credit to any community, and I am sure that he and Sister Schow, as they have watched their family raise families of their own, have been pleased.  I don't know of anything greater that parents could do in life than to raise a large family and raise them so that they each have a testimony of the gospel.  Brother Schow has lived a long life and a good one.  He was born in Mantua in 1875.  He is 75 years of age now.  He has known hard work and his family became good hard workers.  He was raised on a farm, and I am told that while his father was on a mission, that Brother Schow ran the family farm and helped support his father on a mission.  He then moved to Paradise, and soon after that he was called to the mission field himself.  He was originally called to the Samoan Mission, but since there was trouble in those Islands, he was later called to the Northwestern States, and he was one of the first missionaries in that branch.  He spent two and one-half years there, and when he came back, he went to his farm and married Elizabeth Bickmore, whom he had met before he was called to the Mission Field.  They moved from Paradise to Logan to Idaho, and I was interested to know that wherever he was he has been a worker in the Church--in MIA and in Idaho in the Bishopric.  He always attended to his Church duties.

About 26 years ago they moved from Idaho to Brigham, and between 11 and 12 years ago to the Fourth Ward, and it was after that that I became acquainted with Brother Schow.  I found these people to be fine people.  Sister Schow was President of our Relief Society for a number of years.  When I think of one of these people, I think of the other, and they were very close to each other, and I am sure the parting at this time is hard, but I am sure Sister Schow would not want Brother Schow to linger and suffer.

We think of death very differently than the world.  We think of his being alive, not encumbered by this body of clay.  He is able to do a lot of things how.  I am sure he is busy and that he is happy.  In Alma we read that the righteous shall be shielded from sin and sorrow and trouble, so I am sure all is well with Brother Schow.  I feel that I can say with Apostle Paul when he said, "He has fought a good fight."

I feel that Brother Schow has set a good example not only to his family, but for all the rest of us to follow.  I hope that when my time comes that I will be as well prepared to go as Brother Schow is.  I feel that he will receive a very hearty welcome and that he will enter into his work and that the Lord will invite him to enter.  I pray that this spirit of the Lord will be with Sister Schow and the family that they will see the hand of the Lord at this time.

I pray that we will all be willing to spend a little time and a little effort to see if we can lighten the sorrow of Sister Schow.  I pray that the spirit of the Lord will be with us and help us to do the things that we must do to be worthy of meeting our Maker so that when our time does come we will be prepared as Brother Schow is.  These blessings I pray for in the name of Jesus, Amen.

Harold B. Felt, Violin Solo, "Ave Marie" by Bach; accompanied by Evelyn Kay

(President Herman Bunderson)

As the years go by, I believe all of us modify our definition of the values of life.  As I have been sitting here, I have thought of some of the things that are important to me at this age in life, and I am sure they were important also to Brother Schow.  I believe the things that I am thinking of have helped him to modify his life.  I want to mention some of the things that I thought outstanding in his life.  As we are youngsters, I suppose we are more concerned with self than we are with others.  As time goes by I think probably our interest shifts from ourselves to  others--family, friends.  Being helpful is one of the things that Brother Schow was strong in, it seemed to me.  It was my privilege to be the High Priest Quorum Leader in this Ward for a few years and to also work in one of the Sunday School classes.  As long as Brother Schow's health permitted he was always faithful in his quorum work.  He was anxious to serve and to pay his tithing, so long as he was an earner himself.  He was always in attendance in quorum meetings and in Sunday School.

Another feature that is of worth in life, it seems to me, is the way we live as to how it affects the lives of others.  Brother Schow always set a good example--a good example to his children and a good example to the people among whom he worked and to his friends.

Being a good neighbor marks a man, and a good neighbor he was.  I had always regarded them as natives of Brigham.  I do not remember when they came to town, but in reading Brother Schow's history, I found he grew up in Mantua, and since he was frequently in Brigham, I have thought of him as being one of the older residents of the city.  For several years--for 12 years--he was one of the neighbors on our street.  I think of the older members of the family.  We have known at least four of the children who were at home when they came to our neighborhood.  They are fine young people.  The Schows have been a fine family.  I include Sister Schow, as the Bishop said.  They have worked together.  It has been my privilege to have visited him when he was in the hospital and when he was at home, and I have sometimes visited him when I wasn't called in, and he was uncomplaining.  He was a man who had a lot of faith.  I didn't know until I visited him that he had been on a mission to the Northwest.  I believe that came up out of the fact that we had recently been on a trip to the Northwest, and he remembered the places where we had been.

I think the greatest mark which distinguishes a father and mother more than anything else is work and children.  When we arrive at the end of years when our family has grown up, our wealth and joy and sense of achievement is determined by our children--by our family.  What are they doing?  What kind of family did we rear?  And Brother and Sister Schow have every opportunity to see that they have succeeded greatly in life's greatest mission--that of rearing a splendid family.

During the time that I have visited with Brother Schow, though he was racked with pain, I have never found him complaining.  I have thought how this Psalm might have been his philosophy of life:

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures;
He leadeth me beside the still waters;
He restoreth my soul; He leadeth me in
the paths of righteousness for his name's same . . ."

And when I went to visit Brother Schow in his affliction, I felt that this particular paragraph fitted his point of view:

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the
shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for
Thou art with me; They rod and Thy staff comfort me . . ."

I have thought since we are approaching Christmas time, that, while it is a disappointment to the family and to his friends for him to be called, yet there is something about it that seems particularly appropriate to me.  I was one of the young people who had to go, in those days, a rather long way from home to attend school, and when Christmas time came, I left school to go home with a feeling of joy.  Although I hated to leave my friends and the good times at school, yet I was happy to unite with my family and friends at home.  As I look back on it now, the reunion with my old friends and my family and home was so pleasant, and I think that is the way with Brother Schow.  Leaving at this time of year, how happy will be that reunion in the world where Brother Schow's father and mother wait, and I believe two of his children are.

May God bless the memory of Brother Schow, that it may be an inspiration to his sons and daughters, and to his grandchildren, that they may try to emulate his example and do what he would like to have them do.  I ask these blessings in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen

John and Martin Rasmussen, Vocal Solo, Accompanied by Evelyn Kay, entitled "Prayer Perfect."

(President John P. Lillywhite)

It is a privilege and an honor to be asked by the family to stand here a few moments this afternoon and to pay a tribute to the life and the good works of this splendid man whose earthly remains lie before us today.

I have rejoiced in the splendid tributes by those who have already spoken, and in my experience with him, which has come over a number of years--I am sure that what they have said is true.  He was the kind of man that merits just such tributes.

It has been my privilege in the years gone by--experience in my earlier years--to come in contact with Brother Schow in various camps where we have worked together.  He was an older man than I was at the time and there were rough men in those camps, men who did things that were, I was going to say, sometimes mean and vulgar, both in speech and actions, but as I remember now, my experience in those days and in the presence of this man too, that I can't recall or call to mind one incident where his behavior in speech and in deed ever in the least word has tainted my life.  He was exampler.  I never saw him in any position or in any attitude or in any condition where he did not act the part of a gentleman.  Clean, upright, honest, sincere in the things he did.  It was just a few weeks ago, when the weather was a little warmer, that he was taking a walk in front of his house, and I walked with him.  In the course of the conversation he said:

"Do you remember when we used to work together out in Wyoming, Southern Utah, Northern Utah, Idaho, and Montana?  Remember the groups of men we had to work with and the conditions under which we had to work?"

"Yes, I remember them very well, but I do not remember of any instance where you were out of order or acted any way unbecoming of you.  I appreciate the way you lived and the examples you set your younger brothers."

"I appreciate that," he said.  "I have appreciated knowing you and being able to call you friend."

And if it could be said of every man that there was never an instance when he was out of order, this would be a glorious world.  This man has no regrets, and he has lived and worked with many people and I am sure he did work with other people in the same manner.  His other brothers who used to be with us in those camps--Elmer, Will, Ephraim--the same kind of men.  I have never seen anything in their lives that has been anything but straightforward--nothing that has disappointed me, and I appreciate those men and their families.  I appreciate the family of Brother Schow.  I have had a number of his children in my classes.  We have been neighbors in the last few years.  They are fine young men and ladies, lovely, congenial, cooperative, and I think they are trying to do their best.  I found over a period of 20 years that they have come under my observation and tuition that they are fine people and it is a pleasure to speak of them and to recall the past years.  Sister Schow is a lovely woman.  Congenial, fine and willing to do everything that she was asked to do.

As these brethren were speaking of the manhood and character of this, our brother, so came to my mind in the experience I have had, this poem:

My Creed
To live as gently as I can;
To be, no matter where, a man;
To take what comes of good and ill
And cling to faith and honor still;
To do my best and let that stand
The record of my brain and hand,
And still, should failure come to me
Still work and hope for victory.

To have no secret place wherein
I stoop, unseen, to shame or sin;
To be the same when I'm alone
As when my every deed it known.
To live, undaunted, unafraid
Of any step that I have made;
To be without pretense or sham,
Exactly what men think I am.

To leave some single mark behind
To keep my having lived in mind;
If emnity to aught I show
To be an honest, generous foe;
To play my little part, nor whine
That greater honors are not mine.
This, I believe, is all I need
For my philosophy and creed."
--Edgar A. Guest.

I believe this fits his life.  He was a quiet, unassuming kind of man, agreeable, social, congenial.  I pray that his sons, his daughters may strive to emulate his character.  Keep themselves clean, upright and in favor with God and fellowman.  There is something in this thing called Death which is not death.  It is only a passing, leading again to that spirit home from whence we came.  To live and learn and progress and go on.  There is a period of preparing for the resurrection of the body when the body and the spirit will be united again and stand upon the earth and live and laugh and enjoy and linger with loved ones here in this mortal life.  There is no death.  There is only death of the body, the decomposition of our earthly tabernacles to return again to Mother Earth, to come forward in the resurrection by the will and power of God, to become not only reunited, but in perfect bodily health.  The resurrection is just as certain as Death--more certain than life, for sometimes men will come from the Other World through birth unto this life and scarcely draw an earthly breath when they are stricken down and depart again, and so I say the Resurrection is more certain than life.

I thank God for the Gospel and the testimony I have of Christ and of the Prophets who have talked with God face to face and have understood from Him the meaning and purpose and power of life and beyond that the meaning and power of the resurrection and to life everlasting.  It is a glorious gospel and Brother Schow believed in these things--I know he did.  I have talked with him on many occasions.  I have been in his home to officiate with others in administering and he has known that the hour was close for him to go to the other side.  But by the prayers and power of the Priesthood, as Brother Freeman indicated to you, his life was extended, that there might be further preparation.  These things sometime happen.

But he is not in this casket; only his mortal body.  He is alive as much as you and I, except that he is now out of his body.  Only by death can we go on to perfecting the soul until it is made ready to come into the presence of God and enjoy celestial felicity and those who are worthy of that privilege throughout eternity.

Death is certain.  It will come to us.  There is no way of avoiding it.  When it will come we do not know.  The philosophy is to be prepared for the time when it comes, that we can go and that it can honestly be said of us, "In his lifetime, he left nothing that has disappointed men and led men into evil paths."  I can't think of a higher tribute and in my experience, that is my testimony of this man all that I have seen and know of him.  In all our experiences he has maintained that attitude all through the years, and that is a glorious thing.  May God bless his memory, sanctify it unto all of his children and his family.  May he preserve them in faith and in health until their missions are completed; that his wife might receive the comfort and the strength that comes from Him who gives consolation and comfort.  I pray for these blessings and I thank God for my acquaintance with this good man, for the examples he set before me, for the memory I have of him and of his brothers--those that I have worked with.  I pray for these blessings in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen

(Bishop George A. Nielson)

Brothers and Sisters:

I first became acquainted with the Schow family through my associations with the children.  I remember of the first years Sister Ellen was in my class and she was Student-Body Vice president.  The other children I have had in various groups in high school.  They are a fine group of young people and they display willingness to serve and do the things that they have been taught.  Brother and Sister Schow have served well.  I appreciated them a lot in our Ward.  Brother Schow was always willing to come out to church when he was able.  Sister Schow has been a lot of service in our Ward.  Both of them had a deep and real testimony and I am sure that Brother Schow was ready to meet his Redeemer.

Just a short time ago, Sister Schow told me she was glad our Father had granted her his companionship for three more years and throughout many conversations, I could not help but notice these fine people were always willing to do the things that the Gospel teaches.

Now I ask the blessings of the Lord upon this fine woman, that she may have comfort of her neighbors and members of the Ward, so that they can do all they can to help Sister Schow, because she will be lonely.  I pray that we will continue to render services and words of cheer as we have done the past few days.

In behalf of the family at this time, I wish to thank all those who have taken part in the services, those who have called at the home and offered their sympathy and in any way helped lighten the burden.  The High Priest Quorum have furnished cars and the Relief Society arranged the flowers.

Sister Agnes Wood rendered the organ prelude and also the organ postlude.

Relief Society Double Trio: "Beyond the Sunset"
(Joseph H. Watkins) Closing Prayer

Our Father in Heaven:

At the close of this phase of these final rites that we are performing for Brother Schow, we feel to express our thanks and the gratitude of our hearts that the thoughts expressed in the music and the singing and in the spoken work and in all that has been said and done upon this occasion.

We pray for the Holy Ghost to be with Sister Schow, that it may abide with her and that she will be comforted and that she will know that this is a blessing and that all is well with Brother Schow.  Bless the family that they will seek the gift of the Holy Ghost to guide them in their lives and now dismiss us, Our Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

(Richard W. Davis, Dedication)

Our Father in Heaven:

As relatives and friends of our dear departed Brother Ira Schow we stand before an open grave to dedicate this spot as a final resting place for his mortal remains.  We pray Thee Our Father to hallow this spot to protect it from all the elements, that these remains shall rest in peace until the morning of the First Resurrection, at that time when Brother Schow shall again receive unto him Resurrection unto eternal life.

We pray Thee Our Father to hallow the memory of Brother Schow, that he may be revered among his children and among his friends and associates.  We pray Thee, Our Father that they may find peace in coming to this place.  Bless them that they will withstand.

Now Father, we dedicate this resting place of a member of the Holy Priesthood in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Typed by JoAnn Stagge Miller, from a carbon copy of the funeral proceedings.


Ira M Schow

Northwestern States

  • August 1901–Unknown
  • Age Called: 26
  • Northwestern States
  • Set Apart: 20 August 1901
  • Priesthood office: Seventy
  • Priesthood: Seventy
  • Called From: Paradise, Cache, Utah, United States
  • Set apart by: Rudger Clawson
 Found on

Mission to Pacific Northwest about 1901 - 1903. YMMIA President, Paradise, Utah, USA. Bishop's counselor, Weston, Idaho, USA. Ran farm during father's mission.
 BRIEF OF THE LIFE OF DANFORD SCHOW I was born November 11, 1916 at Rexburg, Idaho, sixth of a family of ten. Father: Ira Michael Schow. Mother: Mary Elizabeth Bickmore. Both good LDS. I moved to Mantua, Utah with my parents when I was about two. I saw my first airplane and rode in first car then. Our family moved to Brigham City, Utah when I was about four. The Great Depression hit in 1929 and our family was very poor with little work for Dad who sheared sheep and worked in a local sugar factory when he could. The children all worked in summer picking fruit or other farm jobs. We all attended school in winter and worked during summeI can’t say enough good or express my love for my own mother and father who raised ten children during the Depression under very poor opportunities or government help. They were both very good LDS members and above all kind, loving parents. Written by Danford Schow - found on 
Ira Michael Schow mission course acceptance letter

Paradise Utah 9/24/00

Pres Lorenzo Snow

S. Lake City Ut

Dear Bro

Your favor of Sept 10, 1900 inviting me to take the missionary course at the Brigham Young College was rec'd. Replying would say that it is my intention to take the course and I will report at the college as soon as practicalbe.

I Am

Your Bro.

Ira Schow

Events During the Life of Ira Michael Schow

When Ira Michael Schow was born in 1875, the following events were taking place in Utah and the world:

Nephi was visited by President Brigham Young en route from the south to Salt Lake

A report from the Black Hills stated that the hills were not only full of Indians, but also grasshoppers.

The cacoonery of Justice H.C. Pyper had 30,000 fine, large healthy silkworms ready for reproduction in Utah.

General Ulysses S. Grant was President of the United States.

Queen Victoria of England was in the 38th year of her reign.

The Civil War had been over only ten years.

The Transcontinental Railroad had been completed just six years previously.  Only that year was the Utah railroad completed as far south as Juab County.

The YWMIA and Brigham Young Academy in Provo were established.

Found on  Contributed by joyceelizabethterry1 on 24 July 2017


I was born November 11, 1916 at Rexburg, Idaho, sixth of a family of ten. Father: Ira Michael Schow. Mother: Mary Elizabeth Bickmore. Both good LDS. I moved to Mantua, Utah with my parents when I was about two. I saw my first airplane and rode in first car then. Our family moved to Brigham City, Utah when I was about four. The Great Depression hit in 1929 and our family was very poor with little work for Dad who sheared sheep and worked in a local sugar factory when he could. The children all worked in summer picking fruit or other farm jobs. We all attended school in winter and worked during summer. I graduated from high school in 1935 with good achievements. My greatest pleasure and achievement records was in Band playing clarinet....

I can’t say enough good or express my love for my own mother and father who raised ten children during the Depression under very poor opportunities or government help. They were both very good LDS members and above all kind, loving parents.

Found on (contributed by joyceelizabethterry1 8 January 2014)

1 comment:

  1. Grandpa Schow was one handsome guy! I wish I had known him, but he died before I was born.